Saturday 2 January 2010


 
To continue the story from last week...  After the recovery room I went to the ward.  The ward in hospital had 4 other people in it and has to be the noisest place on earth! You can hear everyone else and you are also closest to the nurses station so you can hear everything in outside aswell.  I'm not going to say much about my hospital experience as some of it was positive and some negative.  Some of the staff were outstanding however I found they were really busy so sometimes Roscoe was going 5 1/2 hours without a feed as I needed help to try and breast feed.  Percy just looked like he was never ever going to feed so I was expressing and syringe feeding whilst trying to get the boys to breastfeed.  In the first 3 days I counted I had 50 minutes sleep!  I just wanted to go home as Isabella was struggling with me being away, I wasn't getting any sleep and it is just so much more comfortable at home.  After 2 nights I came home.  If I had been in a side room I would have stayed longer to try and establish breastfeeding however I felt it was really crowded and I could get more help at home by having Roger there especially through the night.
It was nice to be home however then I was faced with a catelogue of disasters which I will write about in my next blog!  Needless to say in the end after all our disasters, I had to give up trying to breastfeed as I never seemed to have time to even express.  I would be just about to and some well meaning visitor would come round which meant that I would miss yet another feed so in the end with much regret I had to put the boys onto the bottle with formula as I was getting engorged and never having time to try them at the breast.

2 comments:

  1. That's a real shame that you didn't get more support to establish breastfeeding considering you were having to feed two at once. As I've only ever had to breast feed one baby at a time I can imagine it would be a handful to do two together. At least you were able to give them some breast milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so sorry to hear that you had such a difficult start to breastfeeding :( Sounds as though you tried really hard but were really unlucky with your support and advice. Congratulations on the birth of two such beautiful babies!

    ReplyDelete